1. What made you start designing shoes and accessories, but not clothing?
It was always about the shoes. I was born in a family of shoes designers and I was always surrounded by creative ideas and that smell of the leathers. I'm a third generation shoe maker and very proud to continue the family tradition.
2. What are your inspiration of your F/W collection?
The inspiration for the AW10-11 is BioFuture, and the Space Mermaid is my muse. If you see the images of the sketchbook, you will understand the procuess of creation. All the secrets are in the sketchbook. :)
3. Do you have an all time inspiration or main theme? or you discover new inspiration every time?
Throughout years I have developed my own style and aesthetics but I am always on the quest for the new inspirations and beauties. In a nutshell: "Taking from my mind all what I've have seen, looking for what has never been..."
4. Knowing that you have experiences with 2 big names, Alexander McQueen and Nicholas Kirkwood, would you tell us about your experience with them? And how do they inspire you as a shoe designer?
Working in Lee's studio was fun and I have met friends for life there...but I did not agree with many things that were going on there. Late hours (could work 18 hours straight), violation of basic safety rules. It would be a different topic to discuss. We gave to the company all our creativity and passion. What I have gained was the concept that everything is possible, even if it is impossible.
With Nickolas, it was a very pleasant journey. I very much love all his team, it is like a family. Janet Jackson dropping by to the office for a cup of tea, Piter Pilloto and Erdem as usual guests...We even had a little kitty living in the office for a few days :) Loved it!
5. Can you tell us little bit about your upcoming project/collection?
The new collection is called Kinetik. Inspired by the electronic music festival, this collection is the new level of shoe making. It has shoes with the constructions that a few shoe experts adviced me to patent already. Has shoes that have fiber optic light inside. Notions like energy, light and movement are studied in the Kinetik collection.
We really appreciate Anastasia's time for interviewing with us. As we are so deeply in love with shoes, and fashion, we hope to see your new collection soon.